YOUR BUSINESS AUTHORITY

Springfield, MO

Log in Subscribe
The Kitchen’s receiving and distributing center was involved in an arson-caused fire this month.
Photo courtesy Google Maps
The Kitchen’s receiving and distributing center was involved in an arson-caused fire this month.

Fire at The Kitchen damages donated goods

Posted online

Last edited 12:51 p.m., Nov. 13, 2019

The Kitchen Inc. officials say a fire at its receiving and distributing center earlier this month damaged donated goods.

Arson was determined to be the cause of the Nov. 2 fire at 420 E. Blaine St., just off Commercial Street, according to a news release. The Kitchen has worked with the Springfield Fire Department and Springfield Police Department on the case.

While crews quickly put out the fire and contained it to a small area, the building sustained smoke damage. The Kitchen plans to restore the building. Springfield Fire Department Chief David Pennington said the incident remains under investigation.

The Kitchen Community Development Coordinator Stefanie Nentrup said she doesn't believe any charges were filed in the incident that caused nearly $100,000 worth of damages.

“Many of our donations from the community have smoke damage due to the arson,” The Kitchen CEO Meleah Spencer said in the release. “We are in need of household kitchen items such as silverware and dishes, chairs, couches, twin mattresses and nonperishable food items for the homeless we serve.”

Comments

No comments on this story |
Please log in to add your comment
Editors' Pick
Coronavirus Coverage

SBJ compiles news on the respiratory virus outbreak.

Most Read
SBJ.net Poll
How soon do you plan to return to your employer’s office?

View results