Jonathan Dodd and Brian Kubik started a partnership many years after they first met in grade school, finding trust to be the most critical piece to finding a business partner. The business plan for their architecture firm, Buxton Kubik Dodd Design Collective, was developed with the idea that a client can have seamless service throughout the life of a project, encompassing architectural, interior design and engineering services.
This is sponsored content.
- - We're, I guess-- - Grade school. - Grade school friends and we went to grade school together and then Kickapoo High School and then, when we went to college, John went to KU and I went to Drury.
The struggle, I guess, is finding the right partner. In a sense, a business partner is like a marriage and so you're going to be together for the life of that business and you have to trust each other. As soon as Brian and I kind of reconnected, we kind of both knew that was gonna be it. So, he was gonna be my partner and we would eventually do a firm one day.
- There are great architecture firms that are just architects. There's nothing wrong with that. And there is some benefits to being able to go out a pick and choose who your interior designer is and who your engineer is. I mean, there's some benefits in that. We feel like we've kinda captured the best of those segments, those market segments.
- A lot of firms that are just architecture, they try to do a lot of their own interior design. We used to do that. - Yeah, yeah. - We worked with other companies. The architects were kinda responsible at the end of the project to pick the colors. - Pick the finishes.
- Or sometimes we would go hire an outside designer and they would be allowed, just at the end of the project, to pick some colors; whereas, we kind of engage our design team into the beginning stage of the project, so they're actually part of the design of the whole space.
- When somebody comes in here, there's just so much less chance of that miscommunication or the owner being concerned about it. They come here, we just, we can do it all.
Atlanta-based Chicken Salad Chick made its Springfield debut; husband and wife Garrett and Rose Cochran opened Heirloom Candle Bar; and mobile eatery Girldad BBQ LLC was launched.