This delightful French-style pizza hors d’oeuvre makes a dramatic presentation and the flavor is…ooh-la-la.
Why try? Your family or guests will be intrigued the moment you say “We’re having mini French pizzas for appetizers.”
Foodie Byte: The criss-cross pattern really makes this dish a visual standout.
For more delicious out-of-the-pizza-box ideas, click here.
Copyright 2009. The Food Channel®. All Rights Reserved. For permission to use in a printed cookbook or commercial website, please contact Editor.
- 12 ounce prepared pizza dough
- Corn meal for dusting
- 1½ pounds onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 - 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 pound Niçoise olives, pitted
- 1 cup anchovy fillets, drained and cut into thin strips
- To make filling, cook the onions in oil over low heat until soft and golden, about 45 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic and basil and cook until the water from the tomatoes has evaporated.
- Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Use non-stick cooking spray on a large baking sheet with sides and lightly dust with cornmeal.
- Roll out pizza dough and press into the pan, pushing up the sides.
- Spoon in the filling and decorate the top with olives and anchovy strips.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce oven to 350°F and continue baking for 20 minutes or until crust is done.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.