Mediacom Communications Corp. is rolling out internet speed boosts that impact Springfield customers.
Under the plan announced this week, three of the company's subscription tiers will see speed increases of 33% to 100%, according to a news release. Those on plans with 60 megabits per second will see an increase to 100 Mbps, with 100 Mbps rising to 200 and 300 Mbps jumping to 400, at no extra cost.
Phyllis Peters, Mediacom's communications director, said via email that the increases impact 80% of the company's broadband customers in Springfield and Greene County. The other 20% of customers use gigabit speeds, which aren't impacted by the announcement this week, she said, declining to disclose the company’s number of users in the area.
"These speed enhancements are being implemented to facilitate the seamless connection of more internet-enabled devices and enrich the consumer experience," said John Pascarelli, Mediacom’s executive vice president of operations, in the release.
Nationwide, the speed increases impact more than 900,000 customers.
Broadband also is being expanded in the city via City Utilities of Springfield's partnership with Lumen, an internet provider and parent company of CenturyLink. CU is handling installation of new lines, and Lumen will lease the lines and provide internet services via Quantum Fiber, its platform for fiber-based connectivity, according to past reporting.
Quantum Fiber's website shows coverage has been provided to much of north Springfield, as well as the west and southwest parts of the city.
Springfield Business Journal’s 2023 Trusted Advisers event honors 20 businesspeople.