Commerce Bank, Great Southern Bank, Hometown Bank, Mid-Missouri Bank and UMB Bank have agreed to waive check cashing fees for state of Missouri-issued checks for customers and noncustomers at 13 branches in the Joplin area through July 31, according to a news release from State Treasurer Clint Zweifel's office.
“This agreement helps people who cannot get to their regular bank because they have lost their bank branch, have been displaced or are working in the area as part of the recovery effort. It removes the hassle from cashing a state tax return, a state payroll check, an unclaimed property check or another check payment coming from state funds,” Zweifel said in the release. “My office has been in contact with every bank in Joplin and these institutions are stepping up."
Bank branches in the Joplin area that will cash state checks at no charge are:
- Commerce Bank: 211 Main St. in Joplin and 1311 S. Madison St., Webb City;
- Great Southern Bank: 1710 E. 32nd St. in Joplin and 1232 S. Range Line Road in Joplin;
- Hometown Bank: 3016 McClelland Boulevard in Joplin and 1429 E. 32nd St. in Joplin;
- Mid-Missouri Bank: 2230 E. 32nd St. in Joplin, 3435 E. Seventh St. in Webb City, 100 N. Main St. in Webb City, and 1421 S. Madison St. in Webb City; and
- UMB Bank: 2106 S. Maiden Lane in Joplin, 329 S. Range Line Road in Joplin, and 2300 E. Seventh St. in Joplin.
"I encourage banks throughout Joplin to keep up the good work," Zweifel said in the release. "Healthy and helpful financial institutions are essential to the city’s efforts to recover and rebuild.”[[In-content Ad]]