The Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce this morning unveiled the 2021 finalists for its W. Curtis Strube Small Business Award.
The organizations range in industry from aviation and science to health care and nonprofit, according to a news release.
The Small Business Award finalists, in alphabetical order, are:
• Burgess Aircraft Management LLC, dba OzAir Charter Service, which operates a fleet of nine jets from Springfield;
• Dynamic DNA Laboratories LLC, a genetics lab that specializes in DNA testing;
• Harmony House, a nonprofit that provides domestic violence services and awareness;
• Loehr Health Center, a chiropractic and wellness company; and
• TheraCare Outpatient Services LLC, which focuses on pediatrics for its health care services, such as speech, occupational and physical therapy.
“Small businesses have continued to show amazing resilience and ingenuity in the current business environment,” chamber President Matt Morrow said in the release. “These five companies are amazing examples of the resourcefulness of small businesspeople in our area, and we’re thrilled to be able to honor them.”
The 30th annual Small Business Award is given in honor of the late Curtis Strube, a former director at Drury University’s Breech School of Business Administration. Strube founded the chamber’s Small Business Council and was an avid supporter of small businesses.
Academy of Hair Design Inc. won last year's W. Curtis Strube Small Business Award.
The finalists were chosen by an independent panel of judges based on essay questions covering company history, management philosophy, responses to challenges, product innovations and service offerings, and contributions to the community. The winning company is scheduled to be announced Nov. 10 during a chamber ceremony at Oasis Hotel & Convention Center.
Read the profiles of this year's honorees.