or login to your SBJ.net account
Forgot your password or username?
Search only accepts letters and numbers.
State approves 3,700 applications for water assistance
Thursday, August 09, 2012 5:37 AM
Following an executive order signed July 23 by Gov. Jay Nixon, the State Soil and Water Districts Commission approved more than 3,700 applications for an emergency cost-share program supporting the drilling or deepening of water wells or expansion of irrigation systems.
Applications were accepted through Aug. 6.
The project costs for the 3,712 approved applications total $18.7 million. The program covers 90 percent of the cost of the emergency water project, up to a total of $20,000, with the producer or farmer paying the remaining 10 percent, according to a news release.
“Agriculture is the backbone of Missouri’s economy, and we are working quickly to provide emergency relief for farmers and producers who are facing critical water shortages as a result of this historic drought,” Nixon said in the release. “This emergency program is helping our livestock producers and farmers protect their livelihood and uphold a vital pillar of our economy.”
Also on July 23, Nixon signed an executive order declaring a State of Emergency in Missouri. The cost-share program's funding comes from unallocated reserve funds Nixon freed up via House Bill 8, which allows the governor to direct funds in response to a declared emergency.
State pumps additional $5M into farm aid project
Governor declares state of emergency due to drought
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment. Your comments may be used in Springfield Business Journal’s print editions, along with your username and/or registered name.
Message is a required field.
Captcha entry is not valid, please try again.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
SEARCH SPONSORED BY
South Korean president is impeached in stunning fall
LeBron James signs lifetime deal with Nike
MoDOT Southwest District names new lead engineer
Who’s the chamber’s Champion of Enterprise?
Russians flock to U.S. real estate after Trump victory
North Dakota could be biggest loser in ruling against oil pipeline
Credit union entertains purchase offer by Kum & Go
Venture for America and Kauffman Foundation offer new program in Kansas City
Tyson Foods CEO aims focus on tech, hints at acquisitions
Missouri receives $383K in pharmaceutical settlement
Opinion/Letters to the Editor
© 2016 Springfield Business Journal, Springfield, Missouri. All Rights Reserved. To contact SBJ, call (417) 831-3238.